- 8 km north of Bayeux
A battery of the Atlantic Wall surrendered Situated
west of Arromanches-les-Bains in Normandy, Longues-sur-Mer overlooked
the ocean from the top of a 65 meters height cliff, a perfect position
where the Germans had installed a four 150 mm guns battery. On 6 June
1944, at 5:30 am several allied battle ships opened fire on the battery.
When the Allied Armada was on sight, the German heavy guns striked
back. The HMS Ajax concentrated his fire on the German battery at
one kilometre range. The battery stopped bombing a short time, but
fire started again and the position shelled the Landing ships until
5 pm.The battery surrendered to the British troops the next day with
the 184 men garrison.
Longues-sur-Mer battery Four
150 mm guns of twenty kilometers range equiped this battery.
A fire control casemate, hardly completed on 6 June 1944, was
installed at the cliff edge. Situation : access from the D514
road (follow the road-sign)
B11 airfield and Closterman stele Stele
remembering that British Airfield B11 was operational there from 21
June to 4 September 1944. Pierre Closterman, pilot of the Free French
Air Force take off from this airfield with Squadron 602. Situation : at the entrance of the battery
60th anniversary stele Stele
commemorating the 60th anniversary of the Battle of Normandy. Situation : near the town hall